For a spot of tranquillity head for the village of Sway which is a small yet varied village on the edge of the New Forest national park.
Just four miles from the Georgian town of Lymington; its location makes the village perfect for walkers, horse riders and cyclists. The village is best known for Sway Tower, also known locally as Peterson’s Folly, built in the 17c by the eccentric Judge Peterson, the 220 foot tall tower is built entirely of concrete. Even today Sway Tower remains the tallest structure built out of non-reinforced concrete. The tower was finished around 1885 and today is a listed building.
The village has a small friendly community and a growing shopping centre that features a number of places to eat and drink as well as an award winning butchers and a bustling village shop and mainline railway station.
The rolling countryside surrounding the village is featured in the well known book Children of the New Forest, written by Captain Marryatt.
Keep in touch
- Sign-up to receive news, offers and info on the New Forest