In 2014, 68 animals were killed and injured on the New Forest roads…
- 58% of these incidents were local drivers.
- 77% of these incidents occured at night.
- 27% of these incidents were not reported.
So… what can you do to prevent this?
- Keep your speed down! It’s 40mph for a reason.
- Be aware at dusk and dawn. Especially when there’s more than one animal crossing the road!
- At night, set your headlights to high beam.
If you are unfortunate enough to collide with an animal on a New Forest road you must tell the police as soon as possible.
Call 0845 045 45 45 and ask to be put through to the nearest station.
Or, call the Forestry Commission on 02380 283 141