Here’s our top 10 reasons to visit the New Forest in the winter…
1. Scenic beauty - The New Forest transforms into a stunning winter wonderland with frost-covered landscapes, misty mornings, and possibly even a dusting of snow, creating picturesque scenes.
3. Wildlife watching - Spotting wildlife is easier in the winter as the foliage thins out. Look out for frolicking deer, grazing ponies, mischievous donkeys and even highland cattle all roaming freely in the New Forest.
4. Crisp walks – Wrap up warm and don on your walking boots or wellies. The crisp winter air makes for invigorating walks and hikes. We have miles of trails and paths to explore, offering a chance to admire the forest's beauty during this colder season.
5. Glowing sunrises & sunsets – Although beautiful throughout the whole year, sunrises and sunsets express their ultimate glow during the wintertime. The sunrises are absolutely worth the early wakeup call, and the sunsets definitely give you a reason to leave the cosy indoors for some fresh air as the sun goes down.
6. Warming pubs - After a day exploring, take the chill away in one of the many charming pubs with a roaring fire, indulging in hearty meals and perhaps a local brew or even a mulled wine.
7. Frosty mornings – Nothing beats waking up and seeing the forest floors covered in beautiful white frost, making the heathland and grassland look like a wonderful winter dream. The white backdrop really makes our lovely New Forest ponies stand out of the landscape.
9. Starry nights - With the absence of city lights, the New Forest offers a chance to stargaze on clear nights. The dark skies make for excellent stargazing opportunities.
10. Relaxation and reflection - Winter in the New Forest provides a chance to relax and reflect amidst nature's beauty. Whether it's a quiet moment by a stream or a reflective walk, the peaceful environment offers a chance to unwind and feel rejuvenated.
Visiting the New Forest in winter presents a different yet equally enchanting experience compared to other seasons, making it a memorable destination year-round. Plus, the photography opportunities are never ending with an array of different views and weathers every day. Tag us in your social posts at @thenewforestuk.