What could be more romantic than a proposal of marriage? Making that proposal in the beautiful New Forest, that’s what!
Not only do we have some of the UK’s best hotels and restaurants for that post-acceptance stay or celebration, we’ve also got some of the most beautiful and inspiring locations for you to say the immortal words: “Will you marry me?”
So, with that firmly in mind, here are our Top 10 Places in the New Forest to pop the question…
1. Hire The Green Room at The Pig. A beautiful private dining room, with cosy country décor and it’s very own garden terrace. Enjoy an exclusive dining experience, take a romantic walk around the hotel’s grounds, or you could even book in for a relaxing treatment for the both of you.
2. Climb to the top of our world. First, order a sumptuous picnic from The Forest Foodie. (The Boldre looks scrumptious.) Then, take it and your beloved to Piper’s Wait near Bramshaw. It’s the New Forest’s highest hill with panoramic views towards Dorset, Wiltshire and the sea, so where better to pop the most important of questions?
3. Go down on bended knee beneath the ancient boughs of the Knightwood Oak. At 600 years old and more than seven metres round, the Queen of the Forest is bound to bring the blessing of longevity to your future marriage.
4. Visit our most romantic beach. Take a discreet bottle of Champagne and glasses and cycle or walk along Tanners Lane near Lymington, to find the tiny scrap of beach at the end of it. Tanners Lane Beach is one of the New Forest’s best-kept secrets; there’s really only room for two and it’s where the ponies go for a paddle with a backdrop of the Isle of Wight. And, if you book ahead, you can enjoy lunch or dinner at the nearby Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel to celebrate.
5. Luxe out at the Chewton Glen. Book yourself into the 5* sumptuousness of this world-famous hotel to indulge in a celebratory lunch or champagne afternoon tea. Before indulging, pick a quiet spot in the garden and do your proposing there, before returning to enjoy the exquisite food.
6. Do it in Lover. Yes, Britain’s most romantically-named village is just across the New Forest border in Wiltshire. OK – it’s pronounced Lowver but no one will tell if you don’t. And, once you’ve done the deed, if you’re there around Valentine’s Day, check out the decorative hearts and the cute cupid post-box for some great selfie souveniers.
7. Show your intended they are ‘deer’ to your heart. How? By taking them to the platform overlooking the Deer sanctuary at Bolderwood, or the Red Deer sanctuary at Burley. Sightings cannot be guaranteed, but if Bambi and his chums do turn up, you’ll have some unique witnesses to your proposal!
8. Add some spa-kle. Get thee to Lime Wood’s renowned Herb House spa, where either the Ultimate Hideaway or the Essential Harmony packages will ensure you some private time together in the Mud House where you can ask that question and then enjoy a steam room, a deux, as well as lunch at Raw & Cured. Or treat them to a full spa say at SenSpa at Careys Manor Hotel in Brockenhurst where you can also try the Rhassoul Mud experience for two in a beautiful mosaic chamber – another perfect place to propose.
9. New Forest Wildlife Park. The perfect destination for all lovebirds, New Forest Wildlife Park near Ashurst will allow you to walk hand in hand in hand through the Wallaby Wood, and get cosy with a hot chocolate in their café. With a fantastic amount of animals across acres of parkland, there’s plenty to see and do.
10. Ask for the hand of your special someone at Bolton’s Bench. Pop the question surrounded by stunning New Forest free-roaming wildlife at the famous Bolton’s Bench, located in Lyndhurst, known as the heart of the New Forest. The view from under the giant yew tree at The Bench is simply stunning, and the perfect location for proposing, especially at sunrise or sunset.
And don’t forget...you can also whisk your partner away for a luxurious break at the Montagu Arms in Beaulieu, where you’ll be able to curl up on their cosy sofas in front of a roaring log fire, walk the beautiful Beaulieu river and enjoy 3 AA rosette dining at their Terrace Restaurant. Or why not book them into one of New Forest Cottages' most romantic cottages. Or for a romantic paddle along the Beaulieu River with New Forest Activities? Several of our excellent bike hire companies will rent you a tandem or you could book a romantic, chauffeur-driven road trip with New Forest Platinum Tours.
And remember, wherever you go, whatever you do, don’t forget the most important thing of all – the ring!